1. Do you read for recreation?
2. What sorts of things do you read? Fiction? Nonfiction? What category or genre? Long pieces? Short? Books? Magazines? Web pages?
Just about anything anywhere, but magazine if they’re around (ie. waiting rooms).
3. Does your mood, circumstance, or lifestyle influence the reading choices you make?
I usually have 5 books going at a time. Sometimes I’m in the mood for light and easy, sometimes heavier. My current reads are fantasy & sci-fi, shamanism, and gender politics.
4. What function does reading hold for you? Escape? Learning? Companionship? Imaginative voyage? Other?
I love the adventures and travels the words take me on. Rereading Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar series is a reunion with friends. I also love mulling thoughts over and the discussion that can ensue.
5. What, if anything, that you’ve read in the last year or so stands out as particularly excellent reading?
I absolutely loved these for various reasons:
John Perkins- Shapeshifting: Beautiful.
Oscar Wilde- The Picture of Dorian Gray: A bit horrific.
Charles de Lint- Memory & Dream: Artsy.
Meat Loaf- To Hell and Back: Humorous & interesting.
Peter Beagle- the Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle: Last Unicorn anyone?
Ursula LeGuin translation of Tao Te Ching: Poetic.
Margaret Atwood- the Handmaid’s Tale: Scary.